History of St. Anthony
St. Anthony, San Bernardino, was founded by Fr. Michael Brown in 1948. There was considerable racial diversity from the beginning, with whites and Mexican-Americans predominating. Then with demographic changes, African-Americans took over the parish and finally immigrant Mexican and Mexican-American people resumed dominance.
The Divine Word Missionaries assumed responsibility for the parish in the early ’80s. Fr. John Niessen, SVD, was the first of the Divine Word Missionaries to become pastor, serving for eight years. A number of Divine Word Missionary priests have ministered in the parish since then.
Organizations that have played significant roles in the life of the parish include the Knights of Columbus, the Knights and Ladies Auxiliary of St. Peter Claver, the Holy Name Society, the Women’s Fellowship Guild, the Guadalupanos, the Gospel, Youth and Children’s Choirs and other groups that comprise the Hispanic ministries.
St Anthony School made a significant contribution to the life of the parish and local community for 50 years. Under the leadership of Fr. Kaiserauer, the Mercy Sisters came to staff the school. Unfortunately, in 2011 the school had to be closed.